Mission of the Research Centre
The mission of the Research Centre for Building Environmental Engineering (RCBEE) is to undertake advanced applied research and consultancy in issues related to indoor environmental control systems. The general aim is to achieve healthy, comfortable and productive indoor environments with minimal energy consumption. The centre particularly encourages interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary researches.
Research activities of the Center:
• Energy efficiency associated with heating and/or cooling buildings, concerning the sustainable development of modern economies.
Research activities are grouped into six strategic areas:
• Advanced engineering and computer simulation analysis: building thermal modeling; Indoor environmental modeling; CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis of natural and mechanical ventilation, modeling daylight and solar energy availability, forecasting of building sector energy demand; life cycle energy analysis; building total-performance rating methods;
• Management and operation and maintenance issues: diagnosis of building air quality, and energy auditing; Building Operations Economics
Achievements of the Research Centre
• Publications / Scholarly Output: More than a hundred technical reports in internationally reviewed journals each year
• Research Grants: Every year 3 – 4 research grants from RGC, plus some grants from other funding bodies. Two members won the PolyU Presidential Awards due to their excellent achievements in the past two years.