Our department has a strong culture in providing consultancy services to the government and private industry in Hong Kong. The diversified profile of our staff enables us to provide integrated, practical day-to-day and strategic solutions to problems in different disciplines of the building and construction industry. Apart from traditional building services engineering installations, we also provide consultancy services on building environmental performance and engineering economics, indoor air quality and facility management. Our endeavor in providing high quality consultancy services conferred us with ‘Outstanding professional services and innovation awards’ from our university.
Examples of consultancy projects carried out in the last few years:
Building Automation and Diagnosis
- Development and evaluation of existing building HVAC & R system energy and control upgrading;
- Development and evaluation of control strategies for chiller plants and air-conditioning systems for new buildings;
- Design validation and commissioning of Building Automation (BA) instrumentations;
- Development of building energy and operational performance (remote) diagnosis.
Building Environmental Performance
- Development of HKBEAM Scheme;
- HKBEAM Assessment;
- Review of SARS Ward Standards for Public Hospitals in Hong Kong;
- Life Cycle Energy Analysis of Building Construction.
Power Quality and Electromagnetic Compatibility
- Hong Kong Science Park - Phase 2 Development: electromagnetic compatibility with Leight & Orange Ltd;
- Electromagnetic interference study for International Commence Center with Harbour Vantage Management Ltd;
- Insulation Coordination Study for Penny's Bay Line - contract 582 with CLP-CRCC-HG Joint Venture;
- Harmonics, Load-Flow and Fault Simulations for CC230 with CLP Engineering.
HVAC systems Renewable Energy
- Energy Audit;
- Feasibility Study on Solar Hot Water Application;
- System Design of a Hybrid Solar-Wind Project;
- Building-Integrated Photovoltaic Projects;
- HVACR Energy Conservation Projects
Indoor Air Quality
- Indoor Air Quality Audit, e.g. Survey of Indoor Air Quality in City Plaza III;
- Draft of Practice Notes on Managing Indoor Air Quality in Public Transport Facilities for Hong Kong Environmental Protection Department;
- Indoor Air Quality Management in Transfer Bridges of Aircrafts.
Fire Engineering and Plumbing and Drainage Systems
- Hot Smoke Tests in Mega Box;
- Static Smoke Exhaust in AAT;
- Fire shutter under big fires;
- Optimisation of Healthy Drainage Design for Upper Ngau Tau Kok Estates, Phases 2 & 3;
- Traffic Noise Measurement;
- Sound Power Measurement of HVAC systems;
- Sound Power Transmission Loss and Sound Absorption Measurement;
- Architectural Acoustic Design.
Economics and Facility Management
- Market Study on Five Significant Building Services Materials for Housing Authority;
- Market Study on Electrical and Mechanical Services for Building Facilities.
Enquires about the consultancy services provided by the department should be directed to the Head, Department of Building Services Engineering at the address given in the contact page.