PhD, Research Assistant, and Postdoc Positions
There are available positions for PhD students, research assistants, and Postdoc researchers, please contact Dr. Wei for details with your CV and transcripts.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
· Doctoral of Philosophy: The Pennsylvania State University, USA. Department of Architectural Engineering, Minor in Statistics (2015/12)
· Master of Science: The Pennsylvania State University, USA. Department of Architectural Engineering (2011/08)
· Bachelor of Engineering: Fudan University, China. Department of Illuminating Engineering & Light Sources (2009/06)
· Bachelor of Management: Fudan University, China. Department of Accounting (2009/06)
· Illuminating Engineering (interior and exterior lighting evaluation and assessment, such as light pollution, light nuisance, glare, road lighting, and safety)
· LED Lighting and Lighting Quality (e.g., color quality), Spectral Tuning for Special Applications (e.g., museum lighting)
· Green Building, Daylighting Simulation and Analysis
· Human Perception to Light Stimuli, Display, Tablet, TV, etc
· Secretary, China Illuminating Engineering Society Division 7 Lighting and Signaling for Transport
· Member, Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IES), 2009 – Present
o Advisory member, Effects of Lamp Spectral Distribution Committee – Brightness Subcommittee, 2012 – Present
o Member, Color Metric Task Group, 2013 – Present
o Member, Whiteness Task Group, 2014 – Present
o Advisory member, Daylight Metrics, 2016 – Present
o Member, Color, 2016 – Present
· Member, International Commission on Illumination (CIE) Technical Committee
o TC1-80: Research Methods for Psychophysical Studies of Brightness Judgments, 2012 – Present
o TC1-90: Color Fidelity Index, 2013 – Present
o TC1-91: New Methods for Evaluating the Color Quality of White-Light Sources, 2012 – Present
o TC1-95: The Validity of the CIE Whiteness and Tint Equations, 2015 – Present
Selected Research Grants
· 2018-2019 Hong Kong Central Policy Unit – Public Policy Research: The Possibility of Reducing Illuminance Level by Using LED Lighting Products with High CRI for Energy Reduction in Green Buildings
· 2018-2020 National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) – Youth Program: Characterization of whiteness appearance for surface colors
· 2017/2018 Hong Kong Research Grant Council, Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
· 2017-2019 Hong Kong Research Grant Council, General Research Grant (GRF)-Early Career Scheme (ECS): Development of a metric for characterizing light source whiteness rendition for architectural lighting.
· 2017-2018 Hong Kong PolyU Joint Supervision Scheme with the Taiwan Universities: Effects of ambient illumination condition on visual comfort for using tablet devices.
· 2016-2017 Hong Kong PolyU Joint Supervision Scheme with the Chinese Mainland Universities: The effect of LED lighting on memory colors.
· Wei M, Ma S, Wang Y, Luo MR. 2017. Evaluation of Whiteness Formulas for FWA and non-FWA Whites. Journal of the Optical Society of America A. 34(4): 640-647.
· Wei M. 2017. Consider Colorimetric Quantities in Obtrusive Light Evaluation. Lighting Research & Technology. 49(1):4.
· Royer MP, Wei M. 2017. The Role of Presented Objects in Deriving Color Preference from Psychophysical Studies. Leukos. 13(3): 143-157.
· Wei M, Houser KW. 2017. Systematic Changes in Gamut Size Affects Color Preference. LEUKOS. 13(1): 23-32.
· Wei M, Yang B, Lin Y. 2016. Optimization of a Spectrally Tunable LED Daylight Simulator. Color Research & Application (Online first, DOI: 10.1002/col.22094).
· Ma S, Wei M, Liang J, Wang B, Chen Y, Pointer M, Luo MR. 2016. Evaluation of Whiteness Indices. Lighting Research & Technology. (Online first, DOI: 10.1177/1477153516667462).
· Royer MP, Wilkerson A, Wei M, Houser KW, Davis R. 2016. Human Perceptions of Color Rendition Vary with Average Fidelity, Average Gamut, and Gamut Shape. Lighting Research & Technology. (Online first, DOI: 10.1177/1477153516663615).
· Xu W, Wei M, Smet KAG, Lin Y. 2016. Evaluation of the Prediction of Perceived Color Differences by Color Fidelity Metrics. Lighting Research & Technology. (Online first, DOI: 10.1177/1477153516653650).
· Wei M, Houser KW, David A, Krames MR. 2016. Color Gamut Size and Shape Influence Color Preference. Lighting Research & Technology. (Online first, DOI: 10.1177/1477153516651472).
· Lin Y, Wei M, Smet KAG, Tsukitani A, Bodrogi P, Khanh TQ. Color Preference Varies with Lighting Application. Lighting Research & Technology. (Online first, DOI: 10.1177/1477153515611458).
· Lin Y, Wei M. 2015. LED Color Quality Evaluation Status quo. China Illuminating Engineering Journal. 10(1): 33-37.
· Wei M. 2015. Spectral Tuning of LED Sources for Improved Lighting Quality. China Illuminating Engineering Journal. 10(1): 80-84.
· Ashdown I et al. 2015. Correspondence: In Support of the IES Method of Evaluating Light Source Color Rendition. Lighting Research & Technology. 47: 1029-1034.
· Wei M, Houser KW. 2015. What is the Cause of Apparent Preference for Sources with Chromaticity below the Blackbody Locus? LEUKOS. 12:95-99.
· David A, Fini PT, Houser KW, Ohno Y, Royer MP, Smet KAG, Wei M, Whitehead L. 2015. Development of the IES Method for Evaluating the Color Rendition of Light Sources. Optics Express. 23(12):15888-15906.
· Lin Y, Fotios SA, Wei M, Liu Y, Guo W, Sun Y. 2015. Discomfort Glare Causes Faster Eye Movement and Large Pupil Size Constriction. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 56(3): 1649-1656.
· Wei M, Houser KW, David A, Krames MR. 2014. Perceptual Responses to LED illumination with CIE General Color Rendering Indices of 85 and 97. Lighting Research & Technology. 47(7): 810-827.
· Wei M, Houser KW, Orland B, Lang TC, Ram N, Sliwinski MJ, Bose M. 2014. Field Study of Office Worker Responses to Fluorescent Lighting of Different CCT and Lumen Output. Journal of Environmental Psychology. 39: 62-76.
· Houser KW, Wei M, David A, Krames MR. 2014. Whiteness Perception under LED Illumination. LEUKOS. 10(3): 165-181.
· Wei M, Houser KW, Allen GR, Beers WW. 2014. Color Preference under LEDs with Diminished Yellow Emission. LEUKOS. 10(3):119-131.
· Houser KW, Wei M, David A, Krames MR, Shen XS. 2013. Review of Measures for Light-Source Color Rendition and Considerations for a Two-Measure System for Characterizing Color Rendition. Optics Express. 21(8): 10393-10411.
· Wei M, Houser KW. 2012. Status of Solid-State Lighting Based on Entries to the 2010 US DOE Next Generation Luminaire Competition. LEUKOS. 8(4): 237-259.
· Houser KW, Wei M, Royer MP. 2011. Illuminance Uniformity of Outdoor Sports Lighting. LEUKOS. 7(4): 221-235.
· Wei M, Ge A. 2008. Research on a Method to Measure the Optical Parameters of a Precision Approach Path Indicator. Applied Optics. 47(26): 4762-4766.
· Ge A, Song X, Wei M. 2009. Design for a Measurement System of LED Precision Approach Path Indicator Units. Light & Engineering. 17(4): 62-65.