Dr. Huang Xinyan is a Combustion Scientist and a Fire Protection Engineer. He received his PhD (2016) from Imperial College London, where he investigated the Smouldering Combustion of Peat, the largest fire phenomenon on Earth. Before that, he performed research on the Ignition and Flame Spread Theory during his MSc (2012) at University of California, San Diego, and on the Solar Energy during his BE (2010) at Southeast University, China. Prior to joining PolyU, Dr. Huang was a Postdoc and Lecturer at University of California, Berkeley where he conducted research with NASA and JAXA on the Microgravity Combustion and Fire Safety in the International Space Station. Google Scholar ResearchGate
Academic and Professional Qualifications
íP Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London (2016)
íP M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, University of California, San Diego (2012)
íP B.Eng. in Thermal Energy and Power Engineering, Southeast University, China (2010)
íP Thermal Safety of Energy Storage Materials
íP Microgravity Combustion and Fire Safety in Spacecraft
íP Wildland Fires and Fire Ecology
íP Emission and Pollution Control from Combustion Processes
íP Heat Transfer and Phase Change
íP Computational Modelling of Fire Phenomena
Future Research Students:
I am looking for Master and PhD students who have passion to do cutting edge research with me in the areas of Heat Transfer, Energy, Combustion, Fire, Environmental Science and so on. For those who are interested in this position, please send your CV to me by email: email@example.com
íP Previous research experience is preferred, but not required
íP IELTS or TOEFL score is required for non-native English speakers
íP Exchange students from other institutions who are interested in my research are very welcome.
íP Editorial Board Fire Technology (2016 - ); Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering (2016 - )
4th Chinese National Young Scholar Meeting on Combustion, Wuhan, China (2018)
7th Association for Fire Ecology (AFE) International Congress, Orlando, USA (2017)
íP Member New Technologies Subcommittee, International Association of Fire Safety Science (2014 - )
íP Section Chair 10th US National Combustion Meeting, Maryland, USA (2017)
8th International Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards, Hefei, China (2016)
Honours and Awards
2017 Sugden Award for the Most Significant UK Contribution to Combustion Combustion Institute (British Section)
2017 Keynote in 3rd National Young Scholar Meeting on Combustion National Science Foundation of China
2016 Katopodis Prize for Best PhD Thesis in Thermofluids Imperial College London
2015 Watts Award for Outstanding Reviewer Fire Technology - Springer
2014 Medal for PhD Research Excellence in Clean Fossil Fuels Qatar Petroleum
2014 Award for Outstanding Student Abroad China Scholarship Council
2012 Exceptional Overseas Scholarship Imperial College London
Best Poster Awards (x5): 10th, 11th, 12th IAFSS International Symposium; 2nd European Fire Symposium; 10th AOAFST Fire Symposium
Combustion/Fire Art Competition Winner: 10th, 11th IAFSS International Symposium, 33rd Annual Meeting American Society for Gravitational and Space Research
v X. Huang (2017) A Review of Combustion Fundamentals in Wire Fires, Invited Review Paper in Fire Technology (in prepare).
v X. Huang*, G. Rein (2017) Upward-and-downward Spread of Smoldering Peat Fire, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (under review).
v J. Fang, Y. Xue, X. Huang*, J. Wang, S. Zhao, X. He, L. Zhao (2017) Dripping and extinction limits of wire fire under varying pressure and oxygen concentration, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (under review).
v Y. Kobayashi, Y. Konno, X. Huang, S. Nakaya, M. Tsue, N. Hashimoto, O. Fujita, C. Fernandez-Pello (2017) Laser piloted ignition of polyethylene-insulated wire in microgravity, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (under review).
v Y. Lu, X. Huang*, L. Hu, C. Fernandez-Pello (2017) The interaction between fuel inclination and forward wind: Experimental study using thin wire, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (under review).
v Y. Lu, X. Huang*, L. Hu, C. Fernandez-Pello (2017) Concurrent flame spread over the horizontal thin electrical wires, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (under review).
v X. Huang*, S.Link, A. Rodriguez, S. Olson, P. Ferkul, C. Fernandez-Pello (2017) Transition from Opposed Flame Spread to Fuel Regression: Effect of Airflow, Pressure, and Microgravity, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (under review).
v M. Thomsen, X. Huang, C. Fernandez-Pello, D. Urban, G. Ruff (2017) Concurrent Flame Spread over Nomex under External Heating, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (under review).
29. S. Link, X. Huang*, C. Fernandez-Pello, S. Olson, P. Ferkul (2018) The Effect of Gravity on Flame Spread over PMMA Cylinders, Scientific Reports, 8: 120.
28. T. Gong, Q. Xie, X. Huang* (2018) Fire Behaviors of Flame-Retardant Cables Part I: Decomposition, Swelling and Spontaneous Ignition, Fire Safety Journal, 95: 113-121.
27. X. Huang, G. Rein (2017) Downward Spread of Smoldering Peat Fire: the Role of Moisture, Density and Oxygen Supply, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 26, 907-918.
26. Y. Kobayashi, Y. Konno, X. Huang*, S. Nakaya, M. Tsue, N. Hashimoto, O. Fujita, C. Fernandez-Pello (2018) Effect of Insulation Melting and Dripping on Opposed Flame Spread over Laboratory Simulated Electrical Wires, Fire Safety Journal, 95: 1-10.
25. Q. Liu, N. Liu, X. Huang (2017) , Journal of Fire Science 35(6): 535-546.
24. Y. Kobayashi, X. Huang*, S. Nakaya, M. Tsue, C. Fernandez-Pello (2017) Opposed Flame Spread over Horizontal and Vertical Wires: the Role of Dripping and Core, Fire Safety Journal, 91: 112-122.
23. F. Restuccia, X. Huang, G. Rein (2017) Self-ignition of Natural Fuels: Can Wildfires of Carbon-Rich Soil Start by Self-heating? Fire Safety Journal, 91: 828-834.
22. Z. Song, X. Huang, J. Gong, M. Luo, X. Pan (2017) Experimental Study on the DiffusioníVKinetics Interaction in Heterogeneous Reaction of Coal, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 129(3): 1625-1637.
21. G. Rein, X. Huang, F. Restuccia, T. McArdle (2017) Detection of landmines in peat soils by controlled smouldering combustion: Experimental proof of concept of O-Revealer, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 88: 632-638.
20. S. Wang, X. Huang, H. Chen, N. Liu (2017) Interaction between Flaming and Smoldering in Hot-Particle Ignition of Forest Fuels and Effects of Moisture and Wind, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 26: 71-81.
19. X. Huang, K. Li, H. Zhang (20167) Modelling Bench-scale Fire on Engineered Wood: Effects of Transient Flame and Physicochemical Properties, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 36(2): 3167-3175.
18. D. Wu, M. Schmidt, X. Huang, F. Verplaetsen (2017) Self-ignition and Smouldering Characteristics of Coal Dust Accumulations in O2/N2 and O2/CO2 Atmospheres, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 36(2): 3195-3202.
17. H. Wan, J. Ji, K. Li, X. Huang, J. Sun, Y. Zhang (2017) Effect of Air Entrainment on Flame Height of Multiple Fires in Open Space, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 36(2): 3003-3010.
16. J. Song, X. Huang, N. Liu, H. Li, L. Zhang (2017) The Wind Effect on the Transport and Burning Firebrands, Fire Technology, 53(4): 1555-1568.
15. K. Miyamoto, X. Huang*, N. Hashimoto, C. Fernandez-Pello, O. Fujita (2016) Limiting Oxygen Concentration (LOC) of Burning Polyethylene Insulated Wires under External Radiation, Fire Safety Journal, 86: 32-40.
14. X. Huang, G. Rein (2016) Interactions of Earth Atmospheric Oxygen and Fuel Moisture in Smouldering Wildfires, Science of the Total Environment, 572: 1440íV1446.
13. X. Huang, G. Rein (2016) Thermochemical Conversion of Biomass in Smouldering Combustion across Scales: the Roles of Heterogeneous Kinetics, Oxygen and Transport Phenomena, Bioresource Technology 207: 409-421.
12. X. Huang, F. Restuccia, M. Gramola, G. Rein (2016) Experimental Study of the Formation and Collapse of an Overhang in the Lateral Spread of Smouldering Peat Fires, Combustion and Flame 168 (6): 393íV402.
11. S. Wang, X. Huang, H. Chen, N. Liu, G. Rein (2015) Ignition of Low-density Expandable Polystyrene Foam by a Hot Particle, Combustion and Flame, 162 (11): 4112-4118.
10. D. Wu, X. Huang, F. Norman, F. Verplaetsen, J. Berghmansa, E. Van den Bulcka (2015) Experimental investigation on the self-ignition behavior of coal dust accumulations in oxy-fuel combustion system, Fuel, 160: 245-254.
9. X. Huang, G.Rein (2015) Computational Study of Critical Moisture and Depth of Burn in Peat Fires, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 24: 798-808.
8. X. Huang, G. Rein, H. Chen (2015) Computational Smouldering Combustion: Predicting the Roles of Moisture and Inert Contents in Peat Wildfires, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 35 (3): 2673-2681.
7. K. Li, X. Huang, C.M. Fleischmann, G. Rein, J. Ji (2014) Pyrolysis of Medium-Density Fiberboard: Optimized Search for Kinetic Scheme and Parameters via a Genetic Algorithm Driven by KissingeríŽs Method, Energy Fuels, 28: 6130-6139.
6. X. Huang, M. J. Gollner (2014) Correlations for Evaluation of Flame Spread over an Inclined Fuel Surface, Fire Safety Science, 11: 222-233.
5. X. Huang, G. Rein (2014) Smouldering Combustion of Peat: Inverse Modelling of the Thermal and Oxidative Degradation Kinetics, Combustion and Flame, 161 (6): 1633-1644.
4. X. Huang, Y. Nakamura, F. A. Williams (2013) Ignition-to-Spread Transition of Externally Heated Electrical Wire, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 34 (2): 2505-2512.
3. M. J. Gollner, X. Huang, J. Cobian, A. S. Rangwala, F. A. Williams (2013) Experimental Study of Upward Flame Spread of an Inclined Fuel Surface, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 34 (2): 2531-2538.
2. J. Wang, X. Huang*, G. Gong, M. Hao (2011) A Systematic Study of the Residual Gas Effect on Vacuum Solar Receiver, Energy Conversion and Management, 52: 2367-2372.
1. G. Gong, X. Huang*, J. Wang, M. Hao (2010) An Optimized Model and Test of the ChinaíŽs First High Temperature Parabolic Trough Solar Receiver, Solar Energy, 84: 2230-2245.
Peer Review (30 Journals)
íP Fire Technology (x42) Watts Award for Outstanding Reviewer Combustion and Flame (x4)
íP Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (x38) Outstanding reviewer Applied Thermal Engineering (x9)
íP Energy Conversion and Management (x16) Outstanding reviewer Fire Safety Journal (x7)
íP Fire Safety Science/IAFSS Symposium (x20) Bioresource Technology (x9)
íP International Journal of Wildland Fire (x4) Fire and Material (x1)
íP Combustion Science and Technology (x1) Applied Energy (x1)
íP International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (x1) Building Simulation (x1)
íP Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis (x1) Energy Technology (x1)
íP Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry (x1) Soil (x1)
íP Journal of Hazardous Materials (x2) Fire Ecology (x1)
íP Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science (x1) Materials (x1)
íP Science of the Total Environment (x2) Energy & Fuel (x5)
íP Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering (x1) Journal of Hydrology (x1)
íP International Journal of Thermal Sciences (x1) Journal of Fire Science (x1)
2017 NASA (Combustion Science)
PhD Thesis Examiner / Reviewer
2016 Nieves Fernández Áñez Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain